Roflair Tablets (Roflumilast 500 mcg)
What is Roflumilast?
Roflumilast reduces inflammation in the lungs that leads to COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Roflumilast is used to prevent worsening of symptoms in people with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Roflumilast is not a bronchodilator. It will not treat a bronchospasm attack that has already begun. Roflumilast may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about Roflumilast?
You should not use Roflumilast if you have moderate or severe liver disease.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Roflumilast?
You should not use Roflumilast if you are allergic to it, or if you have moderate or severe liver disease.
To make sure you can safely take Roflumilast, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
• liver disease;
• a history of depression, mental illness, or suicidal thoughts or actions.
You may have unusual thoughts or behavior, or thoughts about suicide, while taking this medicine. Tell your doctor if you have new or worsening depression, or suicidal thoughts. Your family or other caregivers should also be alert to changes in your mood or symptoms.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether Roflumilast will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
Roflumilast can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while using this medicine.
Do not give this medication to anyone under 18 years old without medical advice. Do not share this medication with other people, even if they have the same symptoms you have.
How should I take Roflumilast?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Roflumilast is usually taken once per day, with or without food. Follow your doctor’s instructions. Weight loss is a common side effect of Roflumilast. While using Roflumilast, weigh yourself regularly and tell your doctor if you have any unplanned or unexplained weight loss.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking Roflumilast?
Follow your doctor’s instructions about any restrictions on food, beverages, or activity.
Common side effects
Nausea, Anxiety, Back pain, Diarrhoea, Dizziness, Headache, Influenza, Loss of appetite, Muscle cramp, Tremor
Expert advice for Roflair
• Roflumilast is not effective and should not be used for sudden attacks of breathlessness (acute bronchospasm).
• You should not take Roflumilast if you have a history of depression and suicidal behavior/thoughts.
• You should have your weight monitored regularly. Stop taking Roflumilast and seek advice if you experience unexplained and significant weight loss while on treatment.
• Roflumilast controls COPD but does not cure it. It is important to continue taking Roflumilast even if you feel well unless advised otherwise.
• Roflumilast may cause dizziness, which can aggravate with alcohol intake. Do not drive or operate any machinery until you feel fine.
• You should not take Roflumilast if you have any serious disease affecting your immune system (HIV, multiple sclerosis, lupus erythematosus, progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy) or if you are receiving treatments that act on your immune system for certain cancers or serious infections.
• Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Roflair
Q.Is Roflumilast a methylxanthine?
No. Roflumilast is not a methylxanthine and works via a different mechanism of action
Q.Is Roflumilast available in India?
Yes. Roflumilast is available in India in the form of 500 mcg tablet
Q.What is Roflumilast used for?
Roflumilast is used as a maintenance treatment for severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD; a group of lung disorders in which the flow of air to the lungs is blocked) in patients with frequent worsening of COPD symptoms (COPD exacerbations) and with long-term inflammation of airways (chronic bronchitis)
Q.How does Roflumilast work?
Roflumilast is used to prevent worsening of symptoms in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD; a group of lung disorders in which the flow of air to the lungs is blocked) and long-term inflammation of airways (chronic bronchitis)
Q.How long does Roflumilast take to work?
Roflumilast may need to be taken for several weeks to achieve its effects and may vary upon individual response. Please follow advice of your doctor regarding dose and duration.